Where do breakthrough innovations come from?
We often assume they are the exclusive domain of creative geniuses who have analyzed mounds of data and then arrive at a market-disrupting epiphany.
But most of the time innovative ideas begin with a hunch.
That is the thesis of a new book by Bernadette Jiwa titled Hunch: Turn Your Everyday Insights into the Next Big Thing. In it she busts some of the myths we believe about “creative genius” and how innovation really happens.
“We covet groundbreaking ideas and the people who have them,” Jiwa writes in the introduction. “We believe in superstars and visionaries, in the power of Eureka! moments and special circumstances that set great ideas and their creators apart. But when we dig deeper, we find that the secret of these visionaries isn’t necessarily their pioneering nature, but rather that they made connections others overlooked.”
In other words, they notice what others don’t. They notice the gaps between existing business models and what matters to customers. They use intuition to identify problems that beg for a solution. And they have hunches informed by heightened curiosity, imagination and empathy.
The good news is that YOU can too.
Listen to our interview with Bernadette Jiwa to learn how to cultivate your intuitive powers, and transform your business and marketing.
What you will learn in this episode:
- How ANYBODY can develop the “ordinary genius” that turns everyday insights into the next big thing
- Why hunches are more important than data in coming up with breakthrough ideas
- The reasons why data and technology can actually be the enemy of insight
- Three human characteristics that fuel intuition for birthing new business ideas
- How a brand or an idea becomes meaningful (and why it’s critical to success)
- How to make your brand story much more than just a storytelling message
About Bernadette Jiwa
Bernadette Jiwa is a recognized global authority on the role of story in business, innovation, and marketing. She is the author of five best-selling books on marketing and brand storytelling, including:
- Marketing, a Love Story: How to Matter to Your Customers
- Make Your Idea Matter: Standing Out with a Better Story
- Difference: The One-Page Method for Reimagining Your Business and Reinventing Your Marketing
- The Fortune Cookie Principle
- Meaningful: The Story of Ideas that Fly
Bernadette lives in Melbourne, Australia. She works with global brands like LinkedIn, Zappos, and Adidas to intentionally create products, services, and marketing that help them matter to their customers. She has been named one of the Top 100 Branding Experts to follow on Twitter. She also spoke at TEDx in 2012 about “The Secret to Spreading Ideas.”
Her new book Hunch: Turn Your Everyday Insights into the Next Big Thing is available in the U.S. on June 6, 2017.